JOB DESCRIPTION – COUNCIL MEMBER
Position Title: COUNCIL MEMBER
Responsible to: Officers and the Council
Main purpose of role / summary:
The council is the governing body for the Association. The role of council members is to provide the management team with effective strategic leadership, direction, challenge, support and guidance. Council members work in partnership with fellow council members, the Officers, the Chief Executive and senior operational staff to ensure that strategic, business and operational plans support the organisation’s vision, mission and strategic direction and priorities.
Main duties / tasks:
Council members are responsible for:
- Oversight of the organisation’s performanceand ethics
- Delegating day-to-day and operational matters to the Chief Executive and his staff
- Ensuring that all council members act in the best interests of the organisation and not in the interests of any other company or organisation.
Council members will act collectively to:
- Govern the organisation and make decisions to ensure the delivery of the organisation’s activities effectively
- Operate within the terms of the governing document, the Memorandum and Articles of Association, as well as the Council Terms of Reference[TM1] and the requirements of relevant legislation
- Contribute to and support decisions made at formal Council meetings
- Delegate some duties or specific aspects of governance to appointed sub-committees or working groups but decision-making remains the responsibility of the Council.
Key skills, attributes and desirable qualities:
Council members are expected to:
- Act in good faith and with honesty, prudence and competence in all activities
- Show commitment to the organisation’s aims and values
- Demonstrate understanding of the member and sector community
- Attend all Council meetings, general meetings and any exceptional or training events
- Not put themselves in a position where personal interests might or do conflict with those of the organisation
- Participate in performance appraisal of individual Council members and the Council as a whole.
Council members should contribute the following skills:
- Business acumen, commercial understanding, analysis and judgement
- Willing to fully participate in constructive debate
- Decision-making based on the organisation’s strategy and the interests of members
- Trust, openness, respect, honest communication, integrity
- Able to set aside personal interests and fully support collective decisions
- IT literate, able to use email and willing to use technology, e.g. for virtual meetings
- Council members may be in a position to contribute special skills in one or more of the following areas (the Council may co-opt additional people to fill gaps if needed):
- Financial management, including budgeting and accounts
- Investment management
- Legal matters
- Marketing or PR
- HR, training or development
The Council member role is not remunerated but reasonable expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with the organisation’s expenses policy.
The time commitment is likely to be a minimum of 4 days per year (3 Council meetings plus the AGM, as well as any other meetings or events as needed).